Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Oi from Brasil! 10/5/15

Okay, first of all, this keyboard is way different, so I apologize for my terrible spelling, grammar, etc. The computer is saying that every word I type is wrong haha This is a struggle haha

HELLO! Wow, this week has probably been the craziest of my life. (And I´ve probably said that before, but this tops any times previous)...

As you know, it was way hard to say goodbye to my companions and investigators in Nevada, but I know that this is where I am supposed to be right now. 


The flight here was actually not as bad as I thought. I got to watch Inside Out, so that was cool :) And I talked to some awesome people! When we (I say we because there was another Elder with me from the MTC) got to Brazil, it took us forever to get through customs, and then we got put on a bus to the mission home, where we met a bunch of people and heard a ton of Portuguese. At this point, I had been awake for 30+ hours, so I was pretty much a wreck. But I got to meet my companions (yes, I´m in a trio again!), Sister Bundy (from Utah, speaks English hallelujah, super sweet and fun and happy, awesome) and Sister Nunes (Brazilian, speaks a mile a minute, hard for us to communicate, but also super sweet and kind and gives me tons of hugs and support). I love them. We are serving in Cidade Lider, which is right in the city and super dangerous (yay!). I´m still trying to get used to the city part. Elko was so small and calm and here is like the center of Times Square everywhere, but much more dirty and everyone speaks a language I don´t understand.

Brazil is so much more different than I could´ve ever prepared myself for. But I have been trying to just take it all in as a crazy adventure and laugh about things that scare me and that has been helping a lot. Not being able to understand anyone is very hard for me, especially during lessons, but I know that my Portuguese has already improved a lot even just in the past week. I taught parts of a lesson today and understood a few things that Sister Nunes said. The houses are much different here and the sidewalks are very very dirty and steep. If you want an idea of what my area looks like, maybe watch that World Cup introduction video with the boy playing football in the streets on the way to the World Cup (it´s an animation)...that~s what it looks like. There are so many hills!!! I´ve never walked up and down so many hills in my life haha it´s good because I´ll be forced to stay in shape :)

The food here is not too bad. We have rice and beans with every meal, so that is good for me. We eat a huge lunch with a member and then don~t eat dinner. That has been hard for my body to get used to and I have been pretty sick. But I´m sure I will get used to it eventually. 

The weather here is very very humid but not too hot quite yet. When it rains it pours. 

The people here are super super loving. That is good in a lot of ways. The members are so welcoming of me and understanding of my obvious lack of all necessary skills haha The people are very touchy and hug and kiss A LOT. They are very open about what they think of you, which has taken some getting used to :) My looks are super rare here and apparently very desirable. They oogle over my eyes and love my "blonde" hair and pale skin. The men in the streets are very....open about their feelings. They cat call alot and stare at me a ton. It´s a little unnerving, but it does boost my confidence haha Oh, and apparently I look like Jennifer Aniston? Haha one of the Brazilian Elders told me that on the first day. 

I got to watch conference in English!!! What a blessing :) And Elder Bush, my brother from the MTC is in my district!! That has been so nice! I loved conference soooooo much!! Wasnt it amazing??´We are so blessed to have a modern day prophet!!

Okay, hopefully I gave an okay overview of everything haha let me know if y'all have any questions. I love you all so much and I know that Heavenly Father helps us when we hit rock bottom and don´t think we can do any more. Anything is possible through faith in Jesus Christ <3

All my love,
Sister Doyle